Well hello there.

Welcome to this wonderful blog. On it you will eventually find all sorts of fabulous things that should strike your fancy. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PDFE 4/5: Part 2

Interview:

I interviewed Ryan Hipp, who is an assistant athletic trainer here at Berry College.

1.Where did you attend college and what was your major? Did you go to graduate school? If so, where and for what?
I went to Berry for 2 years, but the Kinesiology program was dropped, so I went to Ga.Southern to finish up Undergrad, I have a BS in Kinesiology with a specialization in Athletic Training. I went to Grad school at James Madison University, MS in Kinesiology, specialization in Exercise Physiology.

2.
Where are some of the places before berry that you have worked and what did you do?
Chick-fil-a, and doing landscaping for a guy that I knew.

3.
What made you want to be an athletic trainer? Was this something you've always wanted to do, or did you ever consider other career opportunities?
I loved anatomy in high school, so I wanted to do something that involved the body. I considered physical and occupational therapy and even med school, not sure I had the study skills at the time for med school. I started working with Ginger, she is still the Head Athletic Trainer at Berry, and just enjoyed doing it, so I never stopped.

4.
What are your favorite parts of this job? Least favorite? Hardest parts? Easiest?
My favorite parts are also my least favorite. The schedule changes daily, which is good for someone that gets as bored as I do, but it also makes it difficult to plan for things in the future. Not to mention that an injury may alter the time you get home if you have to go with someone to the ER with an injury. Like every job, there is some paperwork involved that I don't enjoy, but its part of it.

5.
Do you have any training related certifications? If so, which ones?
I am an ATC, certified through the BOC which is part of the NATA (governing body of Athletic Training)

6.
How are the work hours in this field? (i.e. are they flexible, are they varied, does it affect being at home...)
Varies everyday depending on practice schedules, which in turn are dependent on athlete's class schedules. Its not uncommon to work more than 40 or even 50 hours a week at times, and the weekends are usually full with practices and games. It really can cut into your personal life if you aren't careful.

7.
I believe you have mentioned you worked with a football team. If so, what was that like? What is your favorite sport to work with? What is the highest level of athletics you have worked with?
Football is fun, crazy at times trying to keep up with that many players at one time. Whenever I'm asked about my favorite sport I usually respond that I like and hate them all equally for different reasons. Its hard to say that I prefer one over another, they are all different and have somethings that I like and dislike about them. I have worked at a Tae Kwon Do tourney a couple of times, I believe there were a few olympians there. I also worked at the Dew Tour a couple of years ago (similar to the X-Games).

8.
What advice or tips would you give to someone who was interested in this field of work?
Love the anatomy of the body and how complicated it is. Have a true respect for how the body works. Plan things for yourself and make time for yourself, its easy to get burned out in this field.

9.
If you could chose any place to work, where would it be and why? (a.k.a your dream job)
I would like to teach and do some research. As much as I love being on the field covering events, it is difficult with my family. Teaching would have more set hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment